Miami to forgo bowl game again
Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - The University of Miami has decided to keep its football team out of bowl consideration for a second straight season while it deals with an ongoing NCAA inquiry.
The Hurricanes made a similar decision last year.
This year's move comes two days after Miami became bowl-eligible with a win over South Florida. The Hurricanes were also in contention for the ACC's Coastal Division crown heading into next Saturday's season-finale at Duke.
The school said the Hurricanes will not play in the ACC Championship Game if they win the division.
"Considerable deliberation and discussion based on the status of the NCAA inquiry went into the decision-making process and, while acknowledging the impact that the decision will have on current student-athletes, coaches, alumni and fans, a determination was made that voluntarily withholding the football team from a second postseason was not only a prudent step for the university to take but will also allow for the football program and university to move forward in the most expedited manner possible," the school said in a statement Monday.
No other self-imposed penalties have been issued and the NCAA has yet to present Miami with a notice of allegations.
Compliance issues within the program have been the focus of the NCAA since August 2011, when former booster Nevin Shapiro told Yahoo! Sports he provided more than 70 Miami football players with incentives -- such as cars, money and yacht rides -- between 2002 and 2010.
11/19 08:42:09 ET