Bettman mum on talks
New York, NY (Sports Network) - NHL commissioner Gary Bettman provided a brief update Wednesday on negotiations between the league and its players association, but was mum on details.
"We are pleased with the process that is ongoing," Bettman said. "Out of respect for that process, I don't have anything else to say and I'm not going to take any questions."
At that point, Bettman said "See you later" and walked off the podium without any specific update on talks toward a new collective bargaining agreement.
The two sides reportedly exchanged proposals Wednesday in an effort to end the lockout, which is approaching the three-month mark.
Bettman's comments came a day after a grouping of six NHL owners and 18 players met through the afternoon and into the night.
The two warring factions met twice last week with the involvement of federal mediators, but the process was unsuccessful as it had been during the 2004-05 lockout.
The current work stoppage, which began Sept. 16, has already forced the cancellation of regular-season games through Dec. 14, as well as the Winter Classic and All-Star Weekend.
12/05 20:52:03 ET