Report: Sterling won't pay fine, threatens to sue
(SportsNetwork.com) - The Donald Sterling drama is far from being over.
The Los Angeles Clippers owner banned for life from the NBA has threatened to sue the league and claimed, through a lawyer, that he will not pay the $2.5 million fine, according to SI.com.
Sterling has hired prominent antitrust litigator Maxwell Blecher, who has written a letter to NBA executive vice president and general counsel Rick Buchanan. The letter claims that Sterling has done nothing wrong and that "no punishment is warranted" for Sterling.
The 80-year-old Sterling recently said in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper that he "is not a racist" and "made a terrible, terrible mistake" in making comments that were released by celebrity gossip website TMZ.com late last month.
TMZ.com posted nearly 10 minutes of an audio conversation between Sterling and a female friend, in which he tells V. Stiviano he is bothered by he association with African-Americans and asks her not to bring them to Clippers games.
On April 29, the NBA banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million. Commissioner Adam Silver also said that he will urge fellow owners to force Sterling to sell the team.
The report states that Blecher is arguing that Sterling has not violated any article of the NBA constitution, and that Sterling's "due process rights" have been violated by the league.
The league has made Dick Parsons interim CEO of the Clippers.
05/15 22:04:12 ET