The fantasy history of Brady vs. Manning
By Thomas J. Harrigan, Fantasy Sports Writer
Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - If the Tom Brady-Peyton Manning rivalry was a person, it would be nearing its teenage years and probably dominating a Pop Warner league somewhere.
The two first played more than 12 years ago on Sept. 30, 2001, which happened to be Brady's first NFL start.
In 14 games, Brady's New England Patriots have defeated Manning's Indianapolis Colts/Denver Broncos 10 times, including twice in three playoff games.
Even if you live under a rock and only poke your head out once a week, you've still probably heard Brady and Manning will face off again in the AFC Championship this Sunday. The rivalry has been dissected from every angle this week and it's only Friday.
But us fantasy owners don't really care about win percentages or legacies; we care about statistics and fantasy points.
Here is the history of Brady versus Manning presented through a statistical prism:
- Brady has thrown for 3,403 yards with 26 passing touchdowns and 12 interceptions in games against Manning, while Manning has put up 3,971 yards, 29 passing touchdowns and 20 interceptions against Brady.
- Brady owns a completion percentage of .671 against Manning's teams, higher than his career .634 completion rate; Manning's completion percentage against Brady is just .618, down from his career rate of 65.5 percent.
- Brady has had three 300-yard games against Manning with a high of 375; Manning has thrown for 300-plus yards seven times against Brady with a high of 396.
- Brady has thrown for less than 200 yards against Manning's teams three times; Manning has done that twice versus Brady's teams.
- Manning has compiled 252 fantasy points (standard scoring: 25 passing yards per point, four points per passing TD, six points for rushing TD) in games against Brady, an average of 18 fantasy points per game.
- Brady has produced 224 fantasy points against Manning's teams, an average of 16 per game.
- Manning's highest single-game total of fantasy points against Brady was 25, which he accomplished four times, and he had more than 20 fantasy points six times. His lowest total against Brady was five fantasy points, and he had less than 15 fantasy points four times.
- Brady's highest fantasy point total in one game against Manning also was 25, which he put up twice, and he has piled up 20 fantasy points five times. His lowest total against Manning was one fantasy point, and he had less than 15 fantasy points five times.
- Manning and Brady both had at least 20 fantasy points in the same game two times, with a combined high of 50 fantasy points on Nov. 15, 2009. Neither player ever had single-digit fantasy points in the same game, and their combined low was 16 fantasy points on Jan. 18, 2004.
- After averaging 14 fantasy points per game in his first six games against Brady-led Patriots teams and going 0-6 in that span, Manning recorded 21 fantasy points per game and gone 4-4 in his last eight. However, his 12 fantasy points against the Patriots on Nov. 24 was his lowest total of this season.
- Brady has averaged 20.4 fantasy points per game in his last five meetings against Manning and had 25 points on Nov. 24 versus the Broncos.
- In his 10 wins against Manning, Brady has averaged 16.5 fantasy points per game, compared to 14.8 in four losses. Manning has recorded 22.3 fantasy points per game in his four wins, compared to 16.3 in his 10 losses to Brady.
01/17 17:10:06 ET