Celtics confirm Friday return for Rondo
Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge announced Thursday that point guard Rajon Rondo will indeed make his return to the court for Friday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Speculation had been running for several days that Rondo was set to make his comeback from a torn ACL suffered nearly a year ago. The four-time All-Star tweeted "29,233,280 secs" on Monday, an apparent reference to the 338-day time frame between his surgery last February and Friday's contest. He then practiced with Boston's NBA Development League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws, on Wednesday and came out of the workout without any setbacks.
"He looked good and he's ready to play. That's all I was looking for," said Ainge of the workout.
Both Ainge and head coach Brad Stevens said that Rondo, who sustained the injury to his right knee in a game at Atlanta on Jan. 25 of last season, will likely play approximately 20 minutes in his anticipated season debut.
Without Rondo in the lineup, the Celtics have gone just 14-26 this season, the fourth-worst record in the Eastern Conference.
01/16 15:31:28 ET